SK Telecom and RIM Introduce the First Touch-Screen BlackBerry Smartphone in South Korea
Aug 3, 2010
The New BlackBerry Storm2 Features Innovative Technology, Advanced Communications and Multimedia Features for Both Work and Play
Seoul, South Korea: SK Telecom and Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today announced the launch of the first touch-screen BlackBerry smartphone - BlackBerry® Storm2™ - for customers in South Korea. The BlackBerry Storm2 offers advanced communications and multimedia features, enabling customers to stay connected to co-workers, friends, family and a broad range of content while on the go.
The BlackBerry Storm2 offers South Korean customers a new mobile experience based on a powerful touch-screen design that can meet their needs for work and play.
- Smooth design and premium finish with sloped edges, chrome accents, glass lens and stainless steel backplate
- Large (3.25”), dazzling, high resolution 360 x 480 display at 184 ppi
- Capacitive touch-screen with integrated functions (Send, End, Menu, Escape) and innovative SurePress™ technology that makes clicking the display practically effortless
- Global connectivity support: UMTS/HSPA (2100Mhz), quad-band EDGE/GPRS/GSM and Wi-Fi® (802.11 b/g) networks
- 3.2 MP camera with variable zoom, autofocus, flash and video recording
- 256 MB of Flash memory
- 2 GB of onboard memory storage and a microSD/SDHD memory card slot that supports up to 16 GB cards today and is expected to support 32 GB cards when available
- Premium and easy-to-access phone features, background noise suppression technology, loud distortion-free speakerphone and face detection (proximity sensor) that prevents accidental clicks and blanks the screen while the user is on the phone
- Media player for videos, pictures and music, and BlackBerry® Media Sync for easily syncing photos as well as iTunes® and Windows Media® Player music with the smartphone*
- BlackBerry® Desktop Manager for both PCs and Macs to enable synching data such as contacts and calendar appointments between a computer and the smartphone
- A 3.5 mm stereo headset jack and dedicated volume controls
- Bluetooth® with support for hands-free headsets, stereo headsets, car kits and other Bluetooth peripherals
- Access to BlackBerry App World™, featuring a broad and growing catalog of mobile applications developed specifically for BlackBerry smartphones. Categories include entertainment, IM and social networking, news, weather, productivity and more
- Removable, rechargeable 1400 mAhr battery that provides approximately 6 hours of talk time on 3G networks and 280 hours of standby time
Pricing and Availability
The BlackBerry Storm2 smartphone will be available from select SK Telecom authorized retail channels in early August. For further details on pricing and availability, please visit www.mysmart.co.kr/blackberry or contact SK Telecom’s authorized retail channels.
* Certain music files may not be supported, including files that contain digital rights management technologies. Photo syncing is currently only available for Windows-based PCs.
About Research In Motion
Research In Motion (RIM) is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of innovative wireless solutions for the worldwide mobile communications market. Through the development of integrated hardware, software and services that support multiple wireless network standards, RIM provides platforms and solutions for seamless access to time-sensitive information including email, phone, SMS messaging, Internet and intranet-based applications. RIM technology also enables a broad array of third party developers and manufacturers to enhance their products and services with wireless connectivity to data. RIM’s portfolio of award-winning products, services and embedded technologies are used by thousands of organizations around the world and include the BlackBerry® wireless platform, the RIM Wireless Handheld™ product line, software development tools, radio-modems and software/hardware licensing agreements. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, RIM operates offices in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. RIM is listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market (NASDAQ: RIMM) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RIM). For more information, visit www.rim.com or www.blackberry.com.
Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and applicable Canadian securities laws. When used herein, words such as "expect", "anticipate", "estimate", "may", "will", "should", "intend," "believe", and similar expressions, are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on estimates and assumptions made by RIM in light of its experience and its perception of historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments, as well as other factors that RIM believes are appropriate in the circumstances. Many factors could cause RIM's actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements, including those described in the "Risk Factors" section of RIM's Annual Information Form, which is included in its Annual Report on Form 40-F (copies of which filings may be obtained at www.sedar.com or www.sec.gov). These factors should be considered carefully, and readers should not place undue reliance on RIM's forward-looking statements. RIM has no intention and undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.
The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited. RIM, Research In Motion and BlackBerry are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be pending or registered in other countries. Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance. All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. RIM assumes no obligations or liability and makes no representation, warranty, endorsement or guarantee in relation to any aspect of any third party products or services.