RIM Launches the BlackBerry Bold 9700 Smartphone in India
Jan 28, 2010
New 3G Smartphone Delivers High-End Features and Performance in a Compact and Highly Refined Design
Mumbai, India: Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today announced the launch of the stylish and powerful BlackBerry® Bold™ 9700 smartphone. The new BlackBerry Bold 9700 offers a wide range of high-end communications and multimedia features in a sleek and stylish design that will appeal to users for both professional and personal use.
The BlackBerry Bold 9700 smartphone is expected to be available nationally from leading large format retail stores and multi brand outlets serviced by Redington India as well as from operators including Airtel, Aircel, BSNL, Idea Cellular, Loop Mobile, MTNL, Reliance, Tata and Vodafone beginning January 28, 2010.
The BlackBerry Bold 9700 offers top-of-the-line performance, functionality and features. With its robust connectivity options this global 3G smartphone enables users to stay easily connected, whether it is through phone, email, IM or social networking sites. In addition, the full-QWERTY keyboard on the BlackBerry Bold 9700 allows for comfortable and accurate typing and the touch-sensitive trackpad helps users navigate effortlessly.
The BlackBerry Bold 9700 smartphone supports 3G HSDPA networks around the world and is equipped with a next-generation, high-performance (624 MHz) processor and 256 MB on-board Flash memory. The exciting new BlackBerry Bold 9700 also features a dazzling high-resolution display and 3.2MP camera with support for video recording. Its dark chrome frame and leatherette back add to the new smartphone's sleek and elegant look, while the narrow profile, balanced weight and soft-touch sides allow it to feel incredibly comfortable in one hand.
"Building on the success of the original BlackBerry Bold, we are now pleased to introduce the new BlackBerry Bold 9700 smartphone to customers in India. The new 3G BlackBerry Bold 9700 offers top-of-the-line features and performance in a sleek and elegant design that will appeal to both business professionals and consumers,” said Frenny Bawa, Vice President, India, Research In Motion.
Key features of the BlackBerry Bold 9700 smartphone include:
- Sleek design measuring 4.29" x 2.36" x 0.56" (109 mm x 60 mm x 14.1 mm) and weighing only 4.3 oz (122 grams)
- Sharp and dazzling 2.44” light-sensing display (480 x 360 resolution at 245 ppi)
- Highly tactile full-QWERTY keyboard – with finely sculpted keys and chrome frets – for fast, accurate typing
- Innovative touch-sensitive trackpad that allows intuitive and responsive navigation
- Built-in Wi-Fi® (802.11 b/g) for faster web browsing and extended data coverage, as well as support for Wi-Fi calling via UMA where available
- 3.2 MP camera with variable zoom, autofocus, flash and video recording
- Built-in GPS for maps and other location-based applications, as well as photo geotagging
- Media player for videos, pictures and music (music plays up to 38 hours), and BlackBerry® Media Sync for easily syncing photos as well as iTunes® and Windows Media® Player music with the smartphone**
- BlackBerry® Desktop Manager for both PCs and Macs to enable synching data such as contacts and calendar appointments between a computer and the smartphone
- 3.5 mm stereo headset jack, dedicated volume controls, Lock and Mute keys seamlessly integrated across the top of the handset
- microSD/SDHD memory card slot that supports up to 16 GB cards today and is expected to support 32 GB cards when available; a 2GB card is included
- 256 MB of Flash memory
- Access to BlackBerry App World™, featuring a broad and growing catalog of mobile applications developed specifically for BlackBerry smartphones. Categories include games, entertainment, IM and social networking, news, weather, productivity and more.
- Premium and easy-to-access phone features, background noise suppression technology and high quality speakerphone
- Bluetooth® (2.1) with support for Secure Simple Pairing, hands-free headsets, stereo headsets, car kits and other Bluetooth peripherals
- Support for BlackBerry® Internet Service and BlackBerry® Enterprise Server
- Support for 3G networks around the world
- Removable, rechargeable 1500 mAhr battery that provides approximately 6 hours of talk time and 17 days of standby time in 3G mode
For more information visit http://in.blackberry.com
* Some features require BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0.
** Certain music files may not be supported, including files that contain digital rights management technologies. Photo syncing is currently only available for Windows-based PCs.
About Research In Motion (RIM)
Research In Motion (RIM) is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of innovative wireless solutions for the worldwide mobile communications market. Through the development of integrated hardware, software and services that support multiple wireless network standards, RIM provides platforms and solutions for seamless access to time-sensitive information including email, phone, SMS messaging, Internet and intranet-based applications. RIM technology also enables a broad array of third party developers and manufacturers to enhance their products and services with wireless connectivity to data. RIM’s portfolio of award-winning products, services and embedded technologies are used by thousands of organizations around the world and include the BlackBerry® wireless platform, the RIM Wireless Handheld™ product line, software development tools, radio-modems and software/hardware licensing agreements. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, RIM operates offices in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. RIM is listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market (NASDAQ: RIMM) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RIM). For more information, visit www.rim.com or www.blackberry.com.
Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. When used herein, words such as "intend" and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on assumptions made by and information available to Research In Motion Limited. Investors are cautioned that such forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements include, without limitation, possible product defects and product liability, risks related to international sales and potential foreign currency exchange fluctuations, the initiation or outcome of litigation, acts or potential acts of terrorism, international conflicts, significant fluctuations of quarterly operating results, changes in Canadian and foreign laws and regulations, continued acceptance of RIM's products, increased levels of competition, technological changes and the successful development of new products, dependence on third-party networks to provide services, dependence on intellectual property rights, and other risks and factors detailed from time to time in RIM's periodic reports filed with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, and other regulatory authorities. RIM has no intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited. RIM, Research In Motion and BlackBerry are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be pending or registered in other countries. Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance. All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. RIM assumes no obligations or liability and makes no representation, warranty, endorsement or guarantee in relation to any aspect of any third party products or services.