BlackBerry App World Launches in Australia & New Zealand
Dec 11, 2009
Discover, download and enjoy a broad mix of free mobile applications
Sydney, Australia: Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today announced that BlackBerry App World™ is now available to BlackBerry® smartphone* customers in Australia and New Zealand, bringing together a broad mix of free mobile applications.
Customers can now download BlackBerry App World directly to their smartphone by visiting www.blackberry.com/appworld or mobile.blackberry.com. BlackBerry App World can be conveniently accessed over both Wi-Fi® and mobile phone networks in Australia and New Zealand and it automatically presents customers with the relevant catalog of applications available for their specific BlackBerry smartphone model.
“BlackBerry App World makes it very easy for our customers to discover and download a wide variety of applications for their BlackBerry smartphone,” said Adele Beachley, Managing Director, Australia and New Zealand, Research In Motion. “BlackBerry App World provides a fantastic new resource and enhanced experience for customers and an equally exciting business opportunity for RIM’s partners.”
Key Current Features:
- Front Page Carousel - BlackBerry App World showcases several applications on its front page carousel, making it easy for users to browse through a select number of featured applications. Featured applications will vary from time to time, helping users discover new applications for practically every aspect of life.
- Top Downloads – The “Top Downloads” area on BlackBerry App World lists applications that are the most downloaded.
- Categories – BlackBerry App World features a variety of application categories, including entertainment, IM and social networking, news, weather, productivity and more.
- Search/Filter – BlackBerry App World includes a keyword search with filtering capabilities.
- Reviews – Applications on BlackBerry App World can be reviewed by users and those reviews are reflected in star ratings. Users can easily access and read reviews, see screenshots and read a description of each application before they download it.
- Recommend – BlackBerry App World users can recommend applications to other people through email, PIN, SMS message or BlackBerry® Messenger.
- Application Storage – BlackBerry App World includes a folder called My World, which keeps track of applications the user has downloaded. It is a personal storage space that allows users to uninstall and re-install applications.
- Application Archiving: users can archive applications to a microSD card or built-in storage memory on their BlackBerry smartphone.
- Update Notifications: Users are notified of updates to applications they’ve downloaded on BlackBerry App World.
- BlackBerry App World is also accessible from a user's desktop computer at www.blackberry.com/appworld.
Popular BlackBerry App World applications available in Australia and New Zealand include:
BlackBerry® Messenger; Bloomberg Mobile; Daily Horoscope; Dictionary.com - Dictionary and Thesaurus; Facebook® for BlackBerry Smartphones; Flickr® for BlackBerry Smartphones; ipass; Mippin; MySpace; Navita Translator; Nobex Radio Companion; ProOnGo Express; The Weather Channel; Tune Wiki; UberTwitter; Viigo; Vlingo; WorldMate Live: Travel Like a Pro; and World News.
Notes for Media:
A selection of screen shots from BlackBerry App World is available for download here or by emailing Spectrum Communications.
*BlackBerry App World is available for BlackBerry smartphones that include a trackball, touch-sensitive trackpad or touch-screen running BlackBerry OS 4.2 or higher. Users require an active BlackBerry data service plan to access BlackBerry App World. Data charges may apply for customers that have limited data plans.
About Research In Motion (RIM)
Research In Motion is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of innovative wireless solutions for the worldwide mobile communications market. Through the development of integrated hardware, software and services that support multiple wireless network standards, RIM provides platforms and solutions for seamless access to time-sensitive information including email, phone, SMS messaging, Internet and intranet-based applications. RIM technology also enables a broad array of third party developers and manufacturers to enhance their products and services with wireless connectivity to data. RIM’s portfolio of award-winning products, services and embedded technologies are used by thousands of organizations around the world and include the BlackBerry® wireless platform, the RIM Wireless Handheld™ product line, software development tools, radio-modems and software/hardware licensing agreements. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, RIM operates offices in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. RIM is listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market (NASDAQ: RIMM) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RIM). For more information, visit www.rim.com or www.blackberry.com.
Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. When used herein, words such as "intend" and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on assumptions made by and information available to Research In Motion Limited. Investors are cautioned that such forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements include, without limitation, possible product defects and product liability, risks related to international sales and potential foreign currency exchange fluctuations, the initiation or outcome of litigation, acts or potential acts of terrorism, international conflicts, significant fluctuations of quarterly operating results, changes in Canadian and foreign laws and regulations, continued acceptance of RIM's products, increased levels of competition, technological changes and the successful development of new products, dependence on third-party networks to provide services, dependence on intellectual property rights, and other risks and factors detailed from time to time in RIM's periodic reports filed with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, and other regulatory authorities. RIM has no intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited. RIM, Research In Motion and BlackBerry are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be pending or registered in other countries. Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance. All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. RIM assumes no obligations or liability and makes no representation, warranty, endorsement or guarantee in relation to any aspect of any third party products or services.