Reliance Empowers Its Customers to 'Be Bold'
Sep 18, 2008
Launches the BlackBerry Bold smartphone on its GSM network in India
Mumbai, India: Reliance Communications (RCOM) and Research In Motion (RIM) today announced the launch of the BlackBerry® Bold™ smartphone for RCOM's GSM customers in India.
The BlackBerry Bold is a breakthrough smartphone for customers who desire an exceptional mobile experience with advanced communications, multimedia and Internet on-the-go, while also enticing a few admiring glances. From its lustrous black exterior with satin chrome finished frame and stylish leatherette backplate, to its stunning display, rich set of applications, sophisticated user interface and newly designed precision QWERTY keyboard, the BlackBerry Bold smartphone emanates refined sophistication and performance.
“Reliance Communications and Research In Motion have been working together closely to bring the many benefits of the BlackBerry solution to their CDMA customers in India and I am now extremely pleased to say that we will jointly serve their GSM customers as well. The new BlackBerry Bold smartphone, with its global connectivity capabilities and advanced communications and multimedia features, offers customers a truly liberating mobile experience that we believe will be very well received by customers in India,” said Mr. Jim Balsillie, Co-CEO, Research In Motion.
“Our strong relationship with RIM has helped us strengthen our offering in the smartphone segment and in creating customer choice and delight. With the new BlackBerry Bold on our GSM network, our customers have an even wider range of BlackBerry smartphones to choose from,” said Mr. Mahesh Prasad, President, Mobile Data and Content Services, Reliance Communications.
Priced at Rs. 34,990, the BlackBerry Bold is expected to be available from Reliance Communications nationally by the end of October.
The BlackBerry Bold smartphone from Reliance features:
High-speed Network Access
- Support for tri-band HSDPA and Wi-Fi® (802.11 a/b/g) networks, enabling fast Internet browsing, video streaming and file downloading.
- Incorporates the sharpest display ever introduced on a BlackBerry smartphone – its HVGA (480x320 resolution at 217 ppi) color LCD is fused to the undersurface of the lens, making images leap out with stunning definition and clarity. Pictures are vibrant and sharp, while video plays smoothly and web pages, documents, presentations and messages snap with exceptional quality and contrast.
- A newly enhanced high performance browser, together with the BlackBerry Bold smartphone's ultra-sharp high resolution display, gives users an on-the-go web browsing experience with desktop-style depiction. The handset's trackball mimics a mouse, making it easy to navigate sites or point-and-click to zoom in on specific parts of a web page. Files can also be downloaded through the browser.
- Supports video streaming* and features an enhanced media player that can display pictures and slideshows quickly, play movies smoothly in full screen mode, and manage an entire music collection.
- Allows simple synchronization of iTunes® digital music collections with the BlackBerry Bold smartphone via the new BlackBerry® Media Sync application**.
- When using headphones or external speakers, the media player gives the user an equalizer with 11 preset filters – like "Lounge", "Jazz" and "Hip Hop" – that boost or soften audio ranges to create the perfect ambiance.
- Includes a 3.5 mm jack, dedicated volume controls and dual speakers that deliver rich, stereo sound.
- 2-megapixel camera with enhanced flash, digital zoom and video recording; photos can be shared via email, MMS and instant messaging applications.
- 128 MB flash memory, 1 GB on-board storage memory and a convenient externally accessible microSD/SDHC memory card slot*** providing support for up to 16GB of additional storage.
- Roxio® Media Manager for BlackBerry®, a powerful media manager application that allows users to easily search for media files on their computer, view and organize them, create MP3 music files from CDs, add audio tags and album art, create playlists and copy or convert pictures, music and videos for optimal playback. Users can also create and edit playlists through the media player on the handset. Roxio Photosuite® 9 LE is also included, making it easy to enhance pictures and create photo albums on a computer.
- Support for High Speed USB 2.0, allowing files to be transferred quickly between a computer and the BlackBerry Bold smartphone.
Robust Messaging Capabilities and access to additional mobile applications
- Newly designed full-QWERTY keyboard is incredibly effective, allowing fast and accurate thumb typing.
- Microsoft® Word, Excel and PowerPoint files can be downloaded and edited using the preloaded DataViz® Documents to Go® software suite.
- Compatible with thousands of mobile business and lifestyle applications for enhanced communications, productivity and entertainment.
- Support for instant messaging with BlackBerry® Messenger, Windows Live™ Messenger, Google® Talk and Yahoo!® Messenger. Instant messaging applications on BlackBerry smartphones can run conveniently in the background, allowing immediate notification of incoming messages.
- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server support for enterprise deployments, enabling advanced security and IT administration within IBM® Lotus® Domino®, Microsoft® Exchange and Novell® GroupWise® environments.
- BlackBerry® Internet Service support that allows access to up to 10 supported personal and corporate email accounts, including most popular ISP email accounts.
Powerful Wi-Fi and GPS
- Support for Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g) networks with enterprise-grade security, ideal for use on corporate or campus wireless LANs, over Wi-Fi hotspots and on wireless home networks.
- New "Push Button Setup" for faster connection to protected wireless networks that require a sign on process.
- Built-in GPS with BlackBerry® Maps, and support for other location-based applications and services.
- Features a lustrous black exterior with satin chrome finished frame and stylish leatherette backplate, measuring approximately 114mm x 66mm x 15mm and weighing approximately 136g.
- International roaming capability with UMTS/HSDPA 2100/1900/850 MHz and GSM/EDGE 1900/1800/900/850 MHz network support.****
- 1500 mAhr removable/rechargeable cryptographic lithium battery.
- A new acoustic design that increases the size of the phone’s audio sweet spot, improving sound quality and clarity.
- Premium phone features including noise cancellation technology to offset background noise, Speaker Independent Voice Recognition (SIVR) for Voice Activated Dialing (VAD), dedicated 'send', 'end', and 'mute' keys, low-distortion speakerphone, and Bluetooth® (2.0), with support for hands-free use with headsets and car kits, stereo headsets and other Bluetooth peripherals.
- Support for polyphonic, mp3 and MIDI ringtones.
* Check with service provider for video streaming capability
** Certain music files may not be supported, including files that contain digital rights management technologies
*** MicroSD/SDHC memory cards are available today in configurations of up to 8GB and the BlackBerry Bold is expected to support upcoming 16GB mircoSD/SDHC cards
**** Check with service provider for roaming services
About Reliance Communications:
"Reliance Communications Limited founded by the late Shri. Dhirubhai H Ambani (1932-2002) is the flagship company of the Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group. The Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group currently has networth in excess of Rs. 58,000 crore (US$ 14 billion), cash flows of Rs. 12,000 crore (US$ 3 billion), net profit of Rs. 8,000 crore (US$ 2 billion) and zero net debt.
Rated among "Asia's Top 5 Most Valuable Telecom Companies", Reliance Communications is India's foremost and truly integrated telecommunications service provider. The company, with a customer base of 57 million including over 1.7 million individual overseas retail customers, ranks among the Top 10 Asian Telecom companies by number of customers. Reliance Communications corporate clientele includes 2,100 Indian and multinational corporations, and over 800 global, regional and domestic carriers. Reliance Communications has established a pan-India, next generation, integrated (wireless and wireline), convergent (voice, data and video) digital network that is capable of supporting best-of-class services spanning the entire communications value chain, covering over 20,000 towns and 450,000 villages. Reliance Communications owns and operates the world's largest next generation IP enabled connectivity infrastructure, comprising over 175,000 kilometers of fibre optic cable systems in India, USA, Europe, Middle East and the Asia Pacific region. Website : www.rcom.co.in"
About Research In Motion (RIM):
Research In Motion is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of innovative wireless solutions for the worldwide mobile communications market. Through the development of integrated hardware, software and services that support multiple wireless network standards, RIM provides platforms and solutions for seamless access to time-sensitive information including email, phone, SMS messaging, Internet and intranet-based applications. RIM's portfolio of award-winning products, services and embedded technologies are used by thousands of organizations around the world and include the BlackBerry® wireless platform, the RIM Wireless Handheld™ product line, software development tools, radio-modems and software/hardware licensing agreements. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, RIM operates offices in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. RIM is listed on the Nasdaq Stock Market (Nasdaq: RIMM) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RIM). For more information, visit www.rim.com or www.blackberry.com.
Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. When used herein, words such as "intend" and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on assumptions made by and information available to Research In Motion Limited. Investors are cautioned that such forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements include, without limitation, possible product defects and product liability, risks related to international sales and potential foreign currency exchange fluctuations, the initiation or outcome of litigation, acts or potential acts of terrorism, international conflicts, significant fluctuations of quarterly operating results, changes in Canadian and foreign laws and regulations, continued acceptance of RIM's products, increased levels of competition, technological changes and the successful development of new products, dependence on third-party networks to provide services, dependence on intellectual property rights, and other risks and factors detailed from time to time in RIM's periodic reports filed with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, and other regulatory authorities. RIM has no intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited. RIM, Research In Motion and BlackBerry are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be pending or registered in other countries. Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance. All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. RIM assumes no obligations or liability and makes no representation, warranty, endorsement or guarantee in relation to any aspect of any third party products or services.