Verizon Wireless Launches the First CDMA-Enabled BlackBerry Pearl
Nov 1, 2007
The BlackBerry Pearl 8130 Smartphone Offers Voice, Data, Multimedia, Navigation and EV-DO Speed with Style
Basking Ridge, N.J., and Waterloo, Ontario: Verizon Wireless, the leading wireless company with the nation’s most reliable wireless voice and data network, and Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM), a global leader in wireless innovation, today announced the Nov. 3 online availability of the BlackBerry® Pearl™ 8130 at www.verizonwireless.com. The BlackBerry® Pearl™ 8130 will be in Verizon Wireless Communications stores on Nov. 8. For the customer who wants to balance work and play, the world's first CDMA-enabled BlackBerry Pearl gives Verizon Wireless customers wireless broadband connectivity to the office while enabling them to stay connected with family, friends and colleagues.
The new smartphone builds upon the highly acclaimed and iconic BlackBerry Pearl design with new features and functionality to provide customers with powerful communications, rich multimedia and support for high-speed EV-DO networks in a style that goes from day to evening in one slim and small package.
Available to Verizon Wireless customers in an exclusive silver color and backed by the power of the nation’s most reliable wireless voice and data network, the BlackBerry Pearl 8130 offers powerful communications with premium phone features, e-mail and messaging and more. With its built-in navigation capability, the BlackBerry Pearl 8130 can take customers wherever they want to go with mapping, audible turn-by-turn navigation and access to information on more than 14 million points of interest. In addition, the BlackBerry Pearl offers the following capabilities and features:
• Wireless broadband (EV-DO) connectivity for high-speed data transfers, perfect for fast Web-browsing and downloading large attachments
• A sleek, compact design in an exclusive silver color finish; measures 4.2” x 2.0” x .55” and weighs only 3.4 oz
• Open and view e-mail attachments with support for the most popular formats
• Premium phone features including Voice Activated Dialing, speakerphone and noise and echo cancellation technology for clearer calls
• 2.0 megapixel camera, with flash and 5x zoom, able to record video
• Video and picture messaging capable
• Built-in navigation to support the location-based application, VZ Navigator, developed by Networks in Motion, with map data provided by Navteq
• Advanced media player and enhanced desktop media manager software allowing a customer to easily manage music and pictures between their PC and the BlackBerry Pearl 8130
• 3.5 mm stereo headphone included in the box
• Externally accessible microSD™/SDHC memory card slot for additional storage (up to 8 GB)
• An enhanced user interface with new font-rendering technology that makes text easier to read and Web pages visually richer
• Enhanced Web browser delivering a fast, rich browser experience and support for streaming video from sites like m.youtube.com (3GPP RTSP streaming protocol over EV-DO)
• SureType® keyboard technology that makes typing and dialing fast and easy and includes a new word completion capability, easier editing of misspelled words and built-in spell checker
• Bluetooth® 2.0 in support of hands-free headsets, stereo headsets (Bluetooth stereo audio profile A2DP/AVRCP), car kits and other Bluetooth accessories
• A removable and rechargeable battery, rated for up to 220 minutes of talk time and up to 216 hours of standby time
The BlackBerry Pearl 8130 will be available online and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores, including those in Circuit City for $249.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. With the launch of the BlackBerry Pearl, Verizon Wireless is also introducing new Nationwide E-mail and Web for BlackBerry customers providing them with unlimited data for an additional $29.99 per month on top of a voice plan. Customers who choose a data only plan pay $34.99 per month. Both plans provide access up to 10 POP3 and IMAP e-mail accounts via BlackBerry® Internet Service.
For more information on BlackBerry smartphones and to pre-order the BlackBerry Pearl 8130, visit www.verizonwireless.com. Business customers should contact a Verizon Wireless Business Sales Representative directly at 1-800-VZW-4-BIZ.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 63.7 million customers. The largest U.S. wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 68,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
About Research In Motion (RIM)
Research In Motion is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of innovative wireless solutions for the worldwide mobile communications market. Through the development of integrated hardware, software and services that support multiple wireless network standards, RIM provides platforms and solutions for seamless access to time-sensitive information including email, phone, SMS messaging, Internet and intranet-based applications. RIM technology also enables a broad array of third party developers and manufacturers to enhance their products and services with wireless connectivity to data. RIM’s portfolio of award-winning products, services and embedded technologies are used by thousands of organizations around the world and include the BlackBerry® wireless platform, the RIM Wireless Handheld™ product line, software development tools, radio-modems and software/hardware licensing agreements. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, RIM operates offices in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. RIM is listed on the Nasdaq Stock Market (Nasdaq: RIMM) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RIM). For more information, visit www.rim.com or www.blackberry.com.
Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. When used herein, words such as "intend" and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on assumptions made by and information available to Research In Motion Limited. Investors are cautioned that such forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements include, without limitation, possible product defects and product liability, risks related to international sales and potential foreign currency exchange fluctuations, the initiation or outcome of litigation, acts or potential acts of terrorism, international conflicts, significant fluctuations of quarterly operating results, changes in Canadian and foreign laws and regulations, continued acceptance of RIM's products, increased levels of competition, technological changes and the successful development of new products, dependence on third-party networks to provide services, dependence on intellectual property rights, and other risks and factors detailed from time to time in RIM's periodic reports filed with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, and other regulatory authorities. RIM has no intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited. RIM, Research In Motion and BlackBerry are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be pending or registered in other countries. All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. RIM assumes no liability and makes no representation, warranty or guarantee in relation to third party products or services.