T-Mobile USA and RIM Introduce the Ultra-Sleek BlackBerry Pearl
Sep 7, 2006
The New BlackBerry Pearl Delivers the Full BlackBerry Experience and Powerful New Features in an Amazingly Small Phone
T-Mobile USA, Inc. and Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM: TSX: RIM) today announced the BlackBerry® Pearl™, an unbelievably small, smart and stylish BlackBerry phone that's as perfect for staying close to your friends and family as it is for a busy day at work. It is the ideal phone for the burgeoning consumer mobile email market, providing the sleekness and multimedia capabilities that consumers seek, while also staying true to the unique BlackBerry experience that people have come to love. Available in the United States exclusively from T-Mobile beginning Tuesday, September 12, the BlackBerry Pearl is the sleekest BlackBerry yet at a mere 4.2” x 1.97” x .57” and weighing just 3.1 ounces.
The end-to-end BlackBerry wireless email solution continues to shine with support for both personal and corporate email accounts, allowing consumers to stay connected to family, friends and work at their convenience. Web browsing is fast and easy thanks to the BlackBerry Pearl’s powerful device platform and T-Mobile’s fast EDGE network.* Voice features and quality are first-rate and the BlackBerry Pearl incorporates a digital camera, multimedia capabilities and an expandable memory slot for the first time. And, of course, ease-of-use remains a top priority. With such smoothly integrated support for phone, email, and an array of other mobile features, the BlackBerry Pearl from T-Mobile is an ideal mobile companion for staying connected to friends, family and life.
“The revolutionary BlackBerry Pearl, available exclusively at T-Mobile, is the first phone that brings together, in a compelling way for consumers, effortless email with the power of a full-featured mobile phone,” said Mike Butler, Chief Marketing Officer, T-Mobile USA. “The BlackBerry Pearl is the ideal phone for bringing mobile email to the more than 150 million people across the country who use e-mail, almost every day, to stay connected to those who matter most.”
"We are extremely proud to introduce the BlackBerry Pearl in the United States together with T-Mobile,” said Mike Lazaridis, President and Co-CEO at RIM. “The BlackBerry Pearl is an engineering marvel wrapped in a smooth and stylish exterior. Whether you are talking, typing, reading, listening, or taking pictures, it feels and performs great. More and more mobile phone users are warming to the prospect of wireless email for both their personal and professional lives, and we believe this amazing little BlackBerry phone is just what many consumers have been waiting for.”
The new BlackBerry Pearl from T-Mobile USA includes:
- BlackBerry Internet Service™ - allows access to up to 10 personal and corporate email accounts, including most popular ISP email accounts
- Popular instant messaging clients: AOL®, Yahoo!® MSN® and ICQ® **
- 1.3 megapixel camera with 3 zoom levels (up to 5X) and built-in flash
- Multimedia player with stereo headset jack for MP3 and AAC music files, as well as MPEG4 and H.263 video formats
- High performance HTML browser for visiting your favorite web sites while on the go*
- A newly enhanced version of RIM’s popular SureType™ keyboard technology that makes typing email quick and easy
- An incredibly intuitive user interface with an easy-to-use trackball, dedicated 'menu' and 'escape' keys, and context-sensitive menus that make navigation feel instinctive and fast
- Intuitive call management features such as smart dialing, conference calling, speed dialing, and call forwarding
- First-rate phone features with Speaker Independent Voice Recognition (SIVR) for Voice Activated Dialing (VAD), dedicated 'send', 'end', and 'mute' keys, speakerphone, and Bluetooth® support for hands-free use with headsets, car kits and Bluetooth peripherals
- Quad-band GSM/GPRS and EDGE network support for international roaming***
- BlackBerry Maps – a new application which adds mapping and location based services to the BlackBerry Pearl. BlackBerry Maps works together with other BlackBerry applications enabling users to send maps via email and launch maps from other applications, including contacts in your address book
- Support for polyphonic, mp3 and MIDI ring tones **
- A large, ultra-bright 240x260 color display that brings images to life
- An innovative light-sensing technology that automatically optimizes the screen, trackball and keyboard lighting for indoor, outdoor and dark environments
- 64MB built-in flash memory, expandable via MicroSD expansion slot
- BlackBerry Enterprise Server™ support – integrates with Microsoft® Exchange, IBM Lotus® Domino® and Novell GroupWise® environments and features a new set of IT policy controls for IT departments to administer camera and expansion memory settings.
The BlackBerry Pearl from T-Mobile USA is available beginning Tuesday, September 12 solely at T-Mobile retail stores, select authorized dealers, online at www.t-mobile.com, or by calling 1-800-T-MOBILE.
About T-Mobile USA, Inc.
Based in Bellevue, Wash., T-Mobile USA, Inc. is a member of the T-Mobile International group, the mobile telecommunications subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom AG (NYSE: DT). T-Mobile USA’s GSM/GPRS voice and data networks in the United States (including roaming and other agreements) reach more than 268 million people. In addition, T-Mobile operates the largest carrier-grade, commercial wireless broadband network in the United States, providing Wi-Fi access at more than 7,400 public locations throughout the country, with further Wi-Fi access being made available at over 27,000 international roaming locations. For more information, visit the company web site at www.t-mobile.com. T-Mobile®is a federally registered trademark of Deutsche Telekom AG.
About Research In Motion (RIM)
Research In Motion is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of innovative wireless solutions for the worldwide mobile communications market. Through the development of integrated hardware, software and services that support multiple wireless network standards, RIM provides platforms and solutions for seamless access to time-sensitive information including email, phone, SMS messaging, Internet and intranet-based applications. RIM technology also enables a broad array of third party developers and manufacturers to enhance their products and services with wireless connectivity to data. RIM’s portfolio of award-winning products, services and embedded technologies are used by thousands of organizations around the world and include the BlackBerry® wireless platform, the RIM Wireless Handheld™ product line, software development tools, radio-modems and software/hardware licensing agreements. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, RIM operates offices in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. RIM is listed on the Nasdaq Stock Market (Nasdaq: RIMM) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RIM). For more information, visit www.rim.com or www.blackberry.com.
* Not all sites optimized for mobile browsers.
** Separate charges may apply.
*** Check at www.t-mobile.comor a T-Mobile store for information on available international roaming services and international roaming charges.
Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. When used herein, words such as "intend" and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on assumptions made by and information available to Research In Motion Limited. Investors are cautioned that such forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements include, without limitation, possible product defects and product liability, risks related to international sales and potential foreign currency exchange fluctuations, the initiation or outcome of litigation, acts or potential acts of terrorism, international conflicts, significant fluctuations of quarterly operating results, changes in Canadian and foreign laws and regulations, continued acceptance of RIM's products, increased levels of competition, technological changes and the successful development of new products, dependence on third-party networks to provide services, dependence on intellectual property rights, and other risks and factors detailed from time to time in RIM's periodic reports filed with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, and other regulatory authorities. The Company has no intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited. RIM, Research In Motion and BlackBerry are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be pending or registered in other countries. All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. Neither RIM nor T-Mobile assumes any liability or makes any representation, warranty or guarantee in relation to third-party products or services.